Most babies get their first tooth between 4 and 7 months (although this can definitely vary) and teeth can come in one at a time or several all at once. Some babies experience no symptoms at all, while other parents note their child seems to be quite uncomfortable during the teething process. Some symptoms of teething can include fussiness, drooling, swollen gums, chewing on everything and sleeping issues.
The following are some tips to help soothe your child’s teething pain:
- Teething biscuits can offer some relief, as babies can suck and chew on them, however many conventional brands contain long ingredient lists, with many added sugars snuck in. Try making your own: these teething biscuits are super simple to make and use banana to add a little touch of sweetness. See recipe at http://www.superhealthykids.com/healthy-homemade-teething-biscuits/
- Popsicles are also a great option for teething babies, especially during the summer months. You can use fruit purees without added sugar or even freeze breastmilk/formula to make those into popsicles. You can use actual popsicle molds for older children or can simply make these in an ice cube tray and then just put a cube in a mesh teething bag for younger kids. Plain frozen fruit in a mesh bag also works well.
- Teething rings and toys can offer some support, however choose ones that are BPA and phthalate free. You don’t have to get fancy though, even a wet washcloth that you freeze can be used. The child can suck on the cold cloth, which may offer some relief from teething pain.
- Try homeopathic remedies, which can be quite effective at alleviating pain -however you want to do this under the guidance of a certified homeopath.
- If you are breastfeeding, your child may want to nurse more frequently when teething. This is normal and can be a powerful source of comfort for them.
And finally, know that this stage is short and will not last forever (even if it seems like it at the time!) Hope that helps and if you have any tried and true teething remedies-please share :)