Postpartum Fitness: What that looks like is going to be different for every new parent and depends on a variety of factors such as:
- What kind of delivery did you have (and were there any complications?)
- How active were you before and during your pregnancy?
- How healthy is your pelvic floor? If you don't know the answer to this then book an appointment with a pelvic floor physiotherapist and get assessed ASAP! You'll thank me later :)
- Are you feeling depleted (physically or emotionally)?
- Are you sleeping? Sacrificing sleep when you already aren't getting enough is never a good idea. ALWAYS prioritize sleep.
With all that said when you are ready to get back into a regular exercise routine you may, like me, be feeling a bit of anxiety...Will I be able to keep up? Will I know what to do? And who will watch my kids? (last question but still an important one ;)
So when the folks at Robin and Roo and Resilience Fitness asked me to try out a class I was a little nervous, however all my worries were put aside and I had the absolute best time. I honestly cannot recommend them enough. Robin & Roo is a babysitting and nanny service that has partnered with Resilience (located at Monarch Park Stadium in Toronto) to create a community-oriented space where children receive childcare from a professional babysitter while their parents get an incredible full body workout. The kids also get to use the field when it's available and have age appropriate materials for kids of all ages.
And parents with more than one kid-no problem! I hesitantly asked if there was a limit on kids for the childcare (as I come with three kiddos wherever I go) but I was told to bring the whole crew and they had a blast. As for me, Resilience Fitness truly meets you where you're at and provides a challenging, safe, effective workout and modifies if you need it easier (hello!) or harder. The group fitness classes are small and personal. The coaches are AMAZING, welcoming and not intimidating and everyone is there to support and cheer one another on. Love that! They have childcare Mon, Wed and Fri at 9:30 and Sat at 10am. Check them out and let me know what you think! And thanks again to Robin and Roo and Resilience Fitness!